Dr Tim Isaacs
Cataract, Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular Degeneration, Ocular Oncology, Retinal Conditions, Cataract Surgery, Eye Anatomy, Retinal Detachment, Photodynamic therapy, Flashes And Floaters, Implants, Ophthalmology, Vitrectomy Surgery, Vitreomacular Traction, Eye Tumours, Ttoric Intraocular Lenses, Laser Treatment, Retinal Detachment Repair, Macular hole repair, Epiretinal Membrane Removal, Vitreous Haemorrhage Surgery, Laser surgery, Retinal Tears, Traumatic cataract, Sutured Intraocular Lenses, Amelanotic Uveal Melanoma, Radioactive Plaque Brachytherapy, Laser vitreolysis, Floaters, Retinal Vein Occlusion, Vitreous Haemorrhage, Uveal Melanoma
Specialising in cataract, medical and surgical retina, ocular oncology.
Perth Retina Clinic, West Leederville, Western Australia
Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Perth Hospital
Centre for Ophthalmology and Visual Science, University of Western Australia.
I have been in practice as a specialist ophthalmic surgeon in Western Australia for more than 20 years. I perform cataract and retinal surgery, and have a clinical and research interest in ocular oncology (eye tumours).
- Durham University
- Bachelor of Arts
- Honours Upper Second Class
- University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
Academic Awards and Scholarships
- Distinction for Undergraduate Thesis: Visual responses of the inferior olive of the rat
- Margaret Ranken Prize in Clinical Ophthalmology
- Gibb Scholarship in Pathology
- Duke-Elder Undergraduate Prize Examination in Ophthalmology (UK National): 4th
- Special Study Research Project Prize: Electrophysiological testing in diabetic retinopathy
- Ray Florence Shaw Ophthalmic Fellowship
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Retina Specialists
- International Society of Ocular Oncology
- Oxford Ophthalmological Congress
- American Academy of Ophthalmologists
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- European Society of Retina Specialists (EURETINA)
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
Current Hospital Appointments
- Consultant Vitreoretinal Surgeon, Royal Perth Hospital
- Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist, Princess Margaret Hospital
- Accredited Ophthalmologist, St John of God, Subiaco
- Accredited Ophthalmologist, St John of God, Murdoch
- Accredited Ophthalmologist, St John of God, Bunbury
- Accredited Ophthalmologist, Perth Eye Hospital
- Visiting Medical Practitioner, Osborne Park Hospital
My particular areas of interest in ophthalmology include:
- Cataract surgery (over 5000 cases to date)
- Implantation of multifocal and toric intraocular lenses
- Injection treatments for diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration
- Laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy
- Retinal detachment repair
- Vitrectomy surgery
- Macular hole repair
- Epiretinal membrane removal
- Vitreous haemorrhage surgery
- Laser surgery for retinal tears
- Sutured intraocular lenses in traumatic cataract
- Laser treatment of eye tumours
- Photodynamic therapy for amelanotic uveal melanoma
- Radioactive plaque brachytherapy for uveal melanoma
- Laser vitreolysis for floaters
Medical Education and Research
I have lectured and presented in Australia and overseas in the areas of retinal surgery and ocular oncology.
I travel widely to research new and improved methods of treatment, and regularly attend national and international conferences in the areas of cataract surgery, vitreoretinal surgery, and ocular oncology. In 2014 I visited the renowned Ocular Oncology Unit in Liverpool, UK, to learn the technique of trans-retinal biopsy for choroidal melanoma, and subsequently introduced a prognostic biopsy service to Western Australia for patients with uveal melanoma.
I am involved in the teaching and training of medical students and junior doctors through my clinical appointment in the public hospital system at Royal Perth Hospital.
I have an interest in the provision of eye care to remote areas of Western Australia, and have previously worked in the East and West Kimberley, performing eye surgery on patients in Broome and Derby, and running outpatient clinics in communities such as Fitzroy Crossing, and the Central Desert areas of Australia. In 2016 I worked on the Lions Outback Vision Van, providing eye care to patients in the Pilbara towns of Roeburne and Onslow.
In 2015 and 2016 I worked as a volunteer in Vientiane, Laos, as part of a Retinal Fellowship training programme run by the charity Sight For All. This involved the teaching of retinal surgery and laser surgery to trainee retina specialists in this impoverished country. In a country of almost 7 million there is currently just one retinal surgeon and a pressing need for a better service.
I have been involved in eye research for many years as a principal investigator and co-investigator for many novel ocular therapies. In 2006 I published one of the first reports of the beneficial effects of an intravitreal injection of the anti-VEGF drug Avastin in a patient with proliferative diabetic retinopathy (Isaacs and Barry 2006, see publications). Injection treatments with this and other drugs have since become one of the major advances in the treatment of patients with diabetic eye disease. Whilst a consultant at Lions Eye Institute I was actively involved in clinical trials of different therapeutic drugs for wet macular degeneration, including ranibizumab (ANCHOR and MARINA studies) aflibercept (VIEW-2 Study), and an intravitreal dexamethasone implant for Retinal Vein Occlusion (Posurdex Study). I was an invited member of the Allergan Retina Panel at the ARVO (Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology) meeting in Florida in 2007 and 2008.
In recent years I have developed a research interest in eye tumours and ocular oncology. I was part of a multicentre Australian and New Zealand study of photodynamic therapy for amelanotic uveal melanoma, which reported in 2015 at the International Society of Ocular Oncology in Paris. This demonstrated that a simple laser treatment can successfully treat some uveal melanomas.
I am currently engaged in an exciting research project in collaboration with researchers at Edith Cowan University, in which we are attempting to isolate circulating tumour cells from the blood of patients with uveal melanoma, in the hope of identifying those patients at highest risk of metastatic disease. If we are able to isolate DNA from the tumour cells with a blood test, then we may no longer need to perform biopsy of the eye tumour itself, which is technically challenging and carries risks which a blood test does not.
- Deep sequencing of uveal melanoma identifies a recurrent mutation in PLCB4. Johansson P, Aoude LG, Wadt K, Glasson WJ, Warrier SK, Hewitt AW, Kiilgaard JF, Heegaard S, Isaacs TW, Franchina M, Ingvar C, Vermeulen T, Whitehead KJ, Schmidt CW, Palmer JM, Symmons J, Gerdes AM, Jönsson G, Hayward NK. Oncotarget. 2016 Jan 26;7(4):4624-31.
- A large genome-wide association study of age-related macular degeneration highlights contributions of rare and common variants. Fritsche LG, Heid IM, Igl W, Bailey JNC, Isaacs TW et al. Nature Genetics 48, 134-143 2016.
- Isaacs TW, Vermeulen TL, Spagnolo D, Amanuel B. “Choroidal Involvement in Rosai-Dorfman Syndrome May be Depicted and Followed Using Enhanced Depth Imaging Optical Coherence Tomography (EDI-OCT). Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology: Volume 253, Issue 10 (2015), Page 1821-1822.
- Chew AL, Spilsbury K, Isaacs TW. Survival from Uveal Melanoma in Western Australia 1981-2005. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 43(5) December 2014.
- Biallelic Mutations in PLA2G5, Encoding Group V Phospholipase A(2), Cause Benign Fleck Retina. Sergouniotis PI, Davidson AE, Mackay DS, Lenassi E, Li Z, Robson AG, Yang X, Kam JH, Isaacs TW, Holder GE, Jeffery G, Beck JA, Moore AT, Plagnol V, Webster AR. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;89:782-91.
- Comparison of visual acuity outcomes between ranibizumab and bevacizumab treatment in neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Feng XF, Constable IJ, McAllister IL, Isaacs TW. International Journal of Ophthalmology. 2011:4:85-88
- Rapid resolution of severe new disc vessels in proliferative diabetic retinopathy following a single intravitreal injection of bevacizumab (Avastin). Isaacs TW, Barry C. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2006; 34: 802-803.
- Management and Outcomes of Postoperative Endophthalmitis since the Endophthalmitis Vitrectomy Study: The Endophthalmitis Population Study of Western Australia (EPSWA)’s Fifth Report. Ng JQ, Morlet N, Pearman JW, Constable IJ, McAllister IL, Kennedy CJ, Isaacs TW, Semmens JB Ophthalmology July 2005 (Vol. 112, Issue 7, Pages 1199.e1-1199.e)
- Seasonal variation in trachoma and bush flies in north-western Australian Aboriginal communities. da Cruz L, Dadour IR, McAllister IL, Jackson A, Isaacs TW. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2002 30, 80-83
- Early resolution of pre-macular haemorrhage following Nd:YAG laser photodisruption of internal limiting membrane. Isaacs TW, Barry C, McAllister IL. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Ophthalmology 1997
- Favourable outcome following unusual penetrating eye injury. Isaacs TW, Barry C, Raiter J, Barrett G Australian and New Zealand Journal of Ophthalmology 1997
- Postmortem identification by means of a recovered intraocular lens. Isaacs TW, Margolius KA, Chester GH. American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology 1996
- Familial idiopathic juxtafoveolar retinal telangiectasis. Isaacs TW, McAllister IL. Eye 1996 Volume 10 Part 3
- Benign flecked retina. Isaacs TW, McAllister IL, Wade MS. British Journal of Ophthalmology 1996;80:267-8.
- Adenocarcinoma metastatic to the choroid: diagnosis by trans-scleral biopsy. Isaacs TW, McAllister IL. Eye 1995; 9:643-646.
- Reversible visual failure due to exudative retinal detachments in a patient with uncontrolled systemic hypertension. Isaacs TW, Acheson JF Journal of The Royal Society of Medicine September 1994; 87: 557-558
- Visual responses of the inferior olive of the rat. Harris LR, Isaacs TW Journal of Physiology 1982; 329: 23-24.
I have four daughters aged between 20 and 12 years.
My sporting and recreational activities include the following:
- Snow skiing and ski touring. In 2011 I completed the Haute Route, a high level crossing of the French, Swiss and Italian Alps
- Running. I am an entrant in the 2017 City to Surf Half-Marathon
- Cycling. I completed a 160km sponsored ride for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in the Barossa in 2016.
I hope you find my website useful and informative. I welcome any suggestions as to how it could be improved.
Patients may be assured of my best attention at all times.
Dr Timothy Isaacs August 2017
Retina Dry AMD
Retina Wet AMD Medication Injection
How the Eye Works and AMD
Age Related Macular Degeneration Facts
How to Use the Amsler Grid to Check Your Vision
Retina Diabetic PDR Laser
Retina Diabetic PDR Vitrectomy
Retina Diabetic Injection Macular Edema
Retina Diabetic Injection Laser Edema
Retina Diabetic Laser Macular Edema
Retina Macular Pucker Vitrectomy
Retina Macular Hole Surgery
Retina Detached Vitrectomy Scleral Buckle
Retina Detached Scleral Buckle
Dr Tim Isaacs - What is the treatment of retinal vein occlusion?
Retina BRVO Medication Injections
Dr. Tim Isaacs - Retina CME Injections