Medical Course: 1966-72 (B.Med.Sci. 1970)
- Ramsay Surgical Prize for Zoology – 1966
- David S. Rosenthal Prize –1968
- Prince Henry Honoraries' Prize –1972
- Sophie Davis Memorial Prize –1972
- Graduated first in year, (1972) with Class I Honours
Bachelor of Medical Science Degree - 1970
- Class I Honours, Pathology
- 1973 – Intern, Prince Henry's Hospital, Melbourne
- 1974/75 – Surgical Resident, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne
- 1976 – Surgical Registrar, Alfred Hospital
- 1977-80 – Neurosurgical Registrar, St. Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne
- Part I – November 1974
- Part II – May 1979
Membership of Professional Organisations
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons: Fellow
Past EMST Instructor and Course Director
Past Member of Victorian Trauma Committee
- Australian Association of Surgeons
Victorian State Committee Chairman (1994 - 1998)
Federal President (1998 - 2001)
- Spine Society of Australasia
Secretary (2007 - 2010)
President (2010 - 2012)
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia: member
- Australian Orthopaedic Association: Affiliate member
- Melbourne Spinal Research Group: Convenor
- Private neurosurgical practice with special interest in spine
- Provider of expert opinion for patients, lawyers, companies and government bodies on neurosurgical and spinal matters
- A Micromethod for Membrane Immunofluorescence.
Brazenor, G.A., and Davies, D.J.
J. Immun. Methods 2: 325-328, 1973
- Detection by Membrane Immunofluorescence of Isoantibodies During Rejection of Skin Allografts.
Brazenor, G. A., and Davies, D.J.
Clin. Exp. Immunol. 15: 303-307, 1973.
- The Effect of Vitamin A on the Immunosuppressive Action of Cortisone on Skin Homografts in Mice.
Brazenor G. A., and Stephens, F.O.
Aust. N.Z. J. Surg. 42(3): 314-317, 1973.
- Achievement Levels and Mental Health in Medical Students: A Monash University Study.
Brazenor, G.A. and Masterton, J.P.
Medical Education 14:350-355, 1980
- Australian Army Manual of Land Warfare (Part 2: Medical and Dental Training,
Volume 3. Pamphlet # 2):
Field Surgery Handbook, 1985.
Contributor to chapter on Head Injuries
- Scott: An Aid to Clinical Surgery - 4th & 5th Editions
Dudley, H.A.F. and Waxman, B., Eds.
Churchill Livingstone, 1988 edition and 1996 revision
Chapter 8 : Brain Injuries.
Chapter 16 : Scalp and Intracranial Conditions.
- Medicine and Surgery for Lawyers - 1st & 2nd Editions
Buzzard, A. J., Hughes, Sir E., et al., Eds.
The Law Book Company Ltd, 1986 edition and 1996 revision.
Chapter 1: Head Injury.
- Long-term Intrathecal Administration of Morphine: A Comparison of Bolus Administration via Reservoir, with Continuous Infusion by Implanted Pump.
Neurosurgery 21(4):484-491, 1987.
- Manipulative therapy debate (letter).
Brazenor G. A.
Australian Family Physician:16(12): p1732, Dec 1987.
- The radionuclide assessment of systems for slow intrathecal infusion of drugs. (Abstract)
Kalff, V., Brazenor, G., Rahmat, H., and Kelly, M.S.
J. Nucl. Med. 26: 269, 1987.
Dr. Brazenor served as consultant neurosurgeon and teacher in Victorian Public Hospitals from 1981 until 1997. In the 1990s he actively campaigned against governmental cuts to services and standards in Victorian Public Hospitals, some would say to the very real detriment to his career. The following articles give some idea of Dr. Brazenor's personal crusade during those years, ultimately culminating in the difficult decision to leave the public hospital scene, insofar as he had failed in his attempts to restore and maintain it. He has no regrets that he tried.
- "For some, private hospital cover is needed"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 3/10/1986
- "WorkCare system is self-abusing"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 25/7/1989
- "Call to sack top health officials"
Herald Sun, 13/12/1994
- "What of our grimy, desperate hospitals?"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 20/3/1996
- "Angry surgeon plans to resign"
The Age 18/10/1996
- "Courage in Casualty: Doctors blowing the whistle on public hospital problems deserve our support"
Herald Sun, 9/7/1998
- "Health care that money can't buy"
(Quoted in Editorial) The Age, 29/7/1998
- "ALP out of touch on health woes"
The Age, Letter to the Editor, 24/11/1998
- "Premier right to prod Medicare debate"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 7/1/1999
- "Death of a hospital"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 20/2/1999
Previous Positions Held
1982 Australian Churchill Fellowship, spent as Clinical Fellow, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Clinical Neurological Sciences, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada. July 1981 - June 1982 inclusive.
- Consultant Neurosurgeon, Motor Accidents Board of Victoria: December 1982 - May 1984
- Assistant Neurosurgeon, Alfred Hospital
Melbourne: 1982 - 1989
- Senior Lecturer, Monash University
Department of Surgery: 1982 - 1989
- Consultant Neurosurgeon
Head Injury Rehabilitation Unit
1984 - 1991
- Affiliate Neurosurgeon
1987 - 1992
- Neurosurgeon, Senior Medical Staff, Austin and Repatriation Hospitals
Melbourne: 1989 - 1997
- Affiliate, Melbourne University
Faculty of Medicine
Austin Clinical School
1989 - 1997